Memorial Day is meant to honor all of our fallen soldiers. Loved ones who have lost their lives in the defense of this nation and the ideals we hold dear to us.
In honor of Memorial Day, I've found some interesting facts I'd like to share with all of you!
DID YOU KNOW?
1. Memorial Day was established in the late 1860's as a way to remember and honor the fallen soldiers of the civil war. It is now a day to remember and honor ALL of our fallen soldiers.
2. Memorial Day falls on the last Monday of May. But originally, it was observed on May 30 every year, until it was changed in 1868.
3. On Memorial Day the flag should be at half-mast until noon, then raised to the top of the mast until sunset.
4. In 2000, Congress established a national moment of unity. At 3 PM, pause from whatever you are doing in a short moment of remembrance and honor for all of our fallen soldiers.
5. Although not as popular today, one tradition was to eat a picnic meal while sitting on the ground of a cemetery.
Here at Michael Oil and Propane, we wish you all a safe and happy Memorial Day!